Saturday, December 15, 2007

Lupe Fiasco Is Cooler Than Kanye West


There are few rap artists I enjoy. Public Enemy, Ice Cube, Spice 1, A Tribe Called Quest and most recently Lupe Fiasco. I first heard about Lupe Fiasco a couple of years ago when MTV regularly played the video for Kick, Push. When I first saw this skater video I kind of liked it...I just didnt know if I was "supposed" to like it. Then a friend burnt Food and Liquor for me and I loved it. All the way through, it reminded me of a combination of all the rappers I enjoy. His lyrics weren't about nonsense drug deals or slapping hoes asses...they told stories and the songs were filled with intelligent and interesting rhymes. The criticisms I heard about him were surrounded around his choruses or lack of chorus in his songs. Personally, I find a chorus in a rap song to be rediculous fillers...just to break up the versuses. Lupe has a new cd coming out on Tuesday (12/18), The Cool, based off a character from probably the best track on his previous disc. I have really been looking forward to this release. I have heard a couple of songs off of this disc and the last one I have listened to has been my favorite. It is called Paris, Tokyo and it definitely has a chorus. Reminds me of Q-Tip a little bit and that is a good thing. This is how rap is supposed to be...I don't know when it took the wrong turn. I suppose Tupac not being around has something to do with this, but I don't really "know" rap and I don't pretend to. This song is good and I can't wait to pick up this album or burn it from one of those rare Middle Schoolers who enjoy the music I enjoy. Check out this song and pick up the disc on Tuesday.
Kanye West is not cool!!!

Lupe Fiasco [mp3] Paris,Tokyo

No comments: