Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Favorite Songs of The Year


MY FAVORITE 8 SONGS OF 2007
(Honorable Mention Paper Planes-M.I.A.)
8. Phantom Limb-The Shins

The Shins are great...and even greater live. This is my favorite song on a really good cd. I can't quite decide if it is better than Chutes Too Narrow. Everyone has their opinion about it. I think I will sit on the fence for this one.



7. Videotape-Radiohead

I am convinced Thome Yorke is a simple alien making a killing on planet earth.






6. Fake Empire-The National

Its a creepy kind of song somehow to me. A great song.





5. Is There A Ghost-Band of Horses

This song has like 13 words, but its awesome...it makes me want to throw shit with the intention of breaking shit. Know-it-all music reviewists say this is arena rock...and so what if it is...it is amazing



4. I Must Belong Somewhere-Bright Eyes

This is one of those songs that I wish went on forever. Its simple and its great





3. Flightless Bird, American Mouth-Iron and Wine

Something seems familiar about this song. If I was a songwriter I think this is the kind of songwriter I would like to be. There is no way Sam Beam is ever angry. And that would be a nice way to live. Moe is a fat house cat.
[mp3] Flightless Bird, American Mouth



2. The Mending of the Gown-Sunset Rubdown

Arguably my favorite band right now. All the ruckus is somehow very comforting to me.





1. While You Were Sleeping-Elvis Perkins

When you write a song this good I think it can almost follow you as a curse. Anything he does from here on out will be compared to this amazing song. Another simple song that could go on for hours and I wouldn't mind. Ash Wednesday is a real great album and all, but this song just kills me. I can hardly get past it. I almost thing it would have been better for him to release this song by itself as a single; kind of like Trapeze Swinger by Iron and Wine. Maybe I like this song too much...but I dont think so. Its my favorite song this year. If you haven't checked out any Take Away Shows they are pretty cool. And by pretty cool I mean badass. Here is Elvis Perkins and While You Were Sleeping.

No comments: