Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Explosions In The Sky


Explosions In The Sky. I am listening to this band for the first time tonight...for the first time...as I type this in my living room. After searching the internet for free songs that I could download and finding a number of various songs off of various albums I am now listening. And three songs in I am enjoying myself. On my couch...in my living room. and I can't believe how much I like them. They have no words. They do not sing or rhyme. Just guitars and piano and chimes and percussion and reverb and background droning sounds. They are not a jam band...I repeat that...they are not a jam band. Jam bands make me nausesous...They remind me of Sigur Ros without Icelandic gibberish.
You see I have just grown tired of the music I have right now in my collection. I have worn Band of Horses, Sunset Rubdown, Iron and Wine, Beirut to the nub and even though I can listen to Two Gallants every day...I am starting to grow tired. I am going through that "nothing sounds good to me" period that we all enter into after we have been spoiled with great releases in the previous months.
Give this entire song a chance. You have to be in the right mood for it, but truly it is good. Have a listen.
Apparently, the opening song on Friday Night Lights is by Explosions In The Sky. I find this very odd, mainly because a band like this is virtually unknown to the television world. But they are from Austin Texas...maybe thats the connection.
If you haven't started watching Friday Night Lights you need to. It might just be in the top five all time in non comedy television programs. Catch up on NBC.com.

Explosions In The Sky [mp3] A Song For Our Fathers

No comments: