Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kelvin, Who Do You THINK Should Get The Car Keys...?


I encourage anyone to send me something to post. I will be happy to do so. This little bit on IU Basketball is written by our correspondant Paul Vartanian.

Last year about this time I was quoted on Sun Sets' former site as saying, “Eric Gordon is the best guard I’ve seen to come out of Indiana since Oscar Robertson.” Now that a year has passed, I continue to stand by my statement and add what a better man with better hair (ESPN Analyst Steve Lavin) has said, “Eric Gordon is the best college guard since Jason Kidd, only he has a J.J. Redick jumper.” Now these statements leave this question: Why does Eric Gordon Jr. (EJ) struggle to get the ball?

I feel there are a number of components to this issue. The casual viewer probably watches a game and thinks, he gets plenty of shots and IU is a solid offensive team. I DVR every game and really concentrate on the sets they run (or lack there of), interaction between teammates, and all around team concept. I definitely keep my eyes on EJ to define what his role is in the offensive scheme. There in lies the problem, he is unsure of his role, he HAS no defined role. As a freshman, it is the coach’s job to establish what role he will play. I watch games scratching my head, wondering if EJ is the go-to guy, or is it DJ, or is it Crawford, maybe Ellis. I have no idea and the sad thing is, neither do they.

I’m going to break this down plain and simple. I’d like to sit Coach Sampson down, put my hands on his shoulders and say, Kelvin, you have the “best college guard since Jason Kidd” supposedly, give the “Kidd” the ball and let him create, let him play jazz. “He has a JJ Redick jumper” they say. Kelvin, dig some game tape of Duke Basketball in the Redick era, and start copying and pasting, I know you don’t have a problem with bending the rules. Hell, Reddick was no more athletic than Ryan Connors (former University of Evansville and Memorial High School baseball standout), but amazingly ole JJ got a few good looks in his 4 years. But Kelvin, we all know it’s obvious you don’t want to run any sets, so then why not give it your stud and get the f#@k out of the way. Spread the floor, or go 1-4 and let EJ go to work. He’s unselfish, nothing but good things will happen with the ball in his hands. And then from there let the Crawfords and Ellises play their game. You have a serviceable Big Man in DJ White, get him touches. I just see 3 guards bumping heads on who is going to get the next shot. And from my angle, they don’t even like each other. Watch the game tonight (IU vs. Wisconsin, 8:00 pm cst, ESPN2) and look at how the guards interact, not a lot of high fives and chest bumps distributed throughout the team. I don’t think Crawford and Gordon even talk to each other. I’m not blaming any of the kids, it is the coaches job with a young team to define roles in preseason. If he had established this like MOST coaches would do at this level, IU would be undefeated and would be a legit Final 4 contender, no question.

I’m no basketball mastermind, but there is a fundamental rule in sports: Keep the basketball, football, baseball, hockey puck, whatever, in your best players hands. Its simple. When you have a Tom Brady at quarterback you’re not going to hand off for the run. That’s what Kelvin Sampson is doing, He’s got Eric Gordon Jr. at guard, but instead he wants to give Jordan Crawford the green light. Wouldn’t you think you would give a kid that is a projected # 1 pick in next year’s draft every possible incentive to stay another year. So Kelvin, dig into you pockets, fish out the keys to the car, hand them over to EJ, let DJ ride shotgun, and tell the others to get in the back seat, shut their mouths, and enjoy the ride to San Antonio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoever wrote this is 100% right; Crawford wants to prove he is as good as Gordon, which he's not. the ghost of Mike Davis still haunts the hallowed Assembly Halls.....