Monday, December 10, 2007

Favorite Records of the Year


I felt that it was necessary to talk about why I liked the top few albums on my list. I guess I shouldn't have put The Best albums of 2007. More like my favorites.

5. The Twilight Sad-Fourteen Autumns, Fifteen Winters-
I think its because I love typical singer/ songwriters and I listen to them so much that I grow tired of the same formula. I love The Twilight Sad because they are noise. Great noise. They have been compared to Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine and I suppose I can see the comparison...only I like TTS much better than those bands. I also saw them at Pitchfork Festival this year and the highlight of the entire party....they opened up at 11am and were great.

4. Two Gallants-Two Gallants
This is their best record out of their three full lengths. Seems like everything came together for the two on this one. Their previous albums had standout tracks, but just not enough all the way through. Two Gallants is just a good ass record

3. Sunset Rubdown-Random Spirit Lover
I am just addicted to the byproducts of Wolf Parade. Canadians are saving rock music

2. Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
This feels like it was released years ago. I had a hard time remembering if it came out this year or not. I take for granted how good they really are. Sometimes it just takes watching a band on Austin City Limits to recapture why you love them. Their sound is huge to me. Lots of insturments screaming together. Listen to it again and you will understand why they might just be the biggest band in "good rock music" today.

1. Band of Horses-Cease to Begin
They could have come out with an album of nursery rhymes and they still would have been number 1 on this list. I like the fact that they keep elements of country music in their songs. They are coming to St. Louis at the end of January and I cant wait to see them play.

No comments: