Friday, November 9, 2007

Molding them into 'Cool'


For those of you producing offspring these days I am excited for you. You have the opportunity to bring a living being into this planet and form him/her in the image of cool. And we all know the first step to cool is music. Slightly before wearing interesting clothes and being able to handle inordinate amounts of beer. A buddy of mine plays these children songs in his car for his child...one song, sang by what I can only imagine as a 65 year old librarian named Vivian has the chorus "what a beautiful pussy you are" and I almost piss myself every time I hear it. What he should be doing is playing Pearl Jam and Bob Dylan and The Weakerthans and My Morning Jacket. Your kids could be cooler than Lou Reed and that is almost impossible.
I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly...I am thankful for that. If I started listening to Bob Dylan when I was just old enough to speak I would be too cool for planet earth. Jackson Brownlee just attended a Bob Dylan/ Elvis Costello show and he is well on his way. Good work on that one Pops. This one goes out to the kids soon to be born...and the hope that your parents will give you the tools to be cool.

Please tell me there is someone on this earth cooler than Eddie Vedder at this moment...you cant...because it is impossible
Enjoy the weekend. Get outside before you complain about the cold.

No comments: