Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Christmas Song a Day


Middle Schools often collect items such as coats and groceries and presents for families who have less than they should. The question to why these families have less is not the issue. If you have more you try to give to those who have less...if you think about it too much it gets muttled and confusing and you end up becoming a less caring person than you really are. Today we made a delivery...to a family...a family with less...in an area that looked like it had barely survived an air strike in the Second World War. It was scary because I am white and am not poor and white people get scared when they go to predominently black areas...and this fact makes me sad and makes me feel guilty and makes me feel like a coward. We pulled up to a house with a Chrysler in the front yard and a make shift stone walkway that led to a broken screen door. The house was one room wide and two rooms deep. It was cluttered with half broken furniture and trash and was lit up by a static filled television screen showing President Bush fumbling through sentences. The lady apologized for the mess and said they were just moving furniture around...we knew better...this is what their house looks like. And it is a house...a home...to two families, not one...and we brought gifts and chicken and cans of food and coats (I had nothing to do with the collection of goods...I was just there for safety and help). It was hard to find rooms for the four bags of stuff we had for them. I went into the kitchen to drop down some of the packages when I noticed the oven was on and the door wide open. That was their heat...an oven...and this made me sad. The mother was thankful and sort of prideful when she accepted the gifts. She said a quiet thank you and said she had to hurry off to an interview. We wished her luck and got back into our cars and disappeared from a world that is not ours....a world that seems unfair. But it is their world and it has no inclination of changing any time soon. Everything is relative to our own situations and we all complain when we shouldn't and I think thats OK sometimes. Today just made me want to complain a little less and enjoy all the good things I have a little more. Five days until Christmas!!!!!!

I know this is the second Hark! The Herald...songs I have played but I can't resist playing this one today
Vince Guaraldi Trio [mp3] Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

No comments: