Friday, October 26, 2007

Some Songs for a Pretty Shitty, But Great Fall Day


I don't know where you are right now, but in the heart of the Midwest it is a beautiful Fall day. Maybe not the "beautiful Fall day" you might expect with all its blue skies and "hang out in the park all day" temperatures...its just your run of the mill, rainy as hell, not a patch of blue in the sky, sit on the window sill and be thankful you are indoors type of day. My favorite kind of days. The kind of day you wouldnt mind taking off at noon and pouring a glass of whiskey that should say you are an alcoholic but only means that you are enjoying your freedom today. Maybe watch The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown or Halloween, or make a vat of chilli throwing in anything you can find from the refrigerator. You might want to put on some good fall music and sit around talking about Trick or Treating when you were little or jumping in a pile of leaves your grandpa helped you rake. Say that its not too late to go buy a pumpkin and carve it...or to organize a Halloween party. Enjoying the feeling of self imposed exile. A "snow day" in the middle of Fall. If you feel like taking a nap...I encourage it. Hell, bake some cookies and eat them all.
Think about braving the elements later tonight and watch a high school football game. It doesnt matter how bad the teams are you cant beat High School Football on a Friday night. You have all day tomorrow to sit inside and watch football and post season baseball.
For now here is some fall music...just some songs that fit the soundtrack for a beautifully shitty day at the end of October.

The Beatles [mp3] Eleanor Rigby
I love to listen to the Beatles when it is raining. I dont know what it is...it goes back to when I was little riding in a minivan listening to Beatles tapes.

Mark Kozelek [mp3] Rock N Roll Singer
I think its his voice that reminds me of the fall. Dont know why, but I think you all know what I am talking about.

Johnny and the Moon [mp3] All Things Gonna Come Back Around
Just wanted to add a song from a cd I just purchased. I like these guys. I spoke of them earlier. This song reminds me of Tom Petty.

The Gambler [mp3] Autumn Winds
What is a fall mix without the theme song to the season. Greg Brinkmeyer is the gambler and this song is quickly becoming a classic...just if people would listen to it...SO LISTEN TO IT! please.

No comments: