Wednesday, October 17, 2007

ITS TIME FOR HALLOWEEN MOVIES


I don't want to say that we are forcing fall this year, but with the weather not cooperating, The Golden Dome crumbling, and the Sox with their back against the wall, my mind has been elsewhere. Halloween is approaching and its the one time of the year I can get into Horror Movies. The good, the bad, the terrible...during the second half of October they are all great. I called on my movie correspondant, The Gambler, to give a rundown on some Classic Halloween flics for the season. Check it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Gambler's Top 5 Halloween Movies

I have been a movie fan all my life and I have been a horror movie fan since 1984 when I first saw A Nightmare on Elm Street. I know this topic was discussed last year on REDPANTS, and trying to distinguish between my favorite Halloween movies and the best was a bit of a challenge. However, in doing so, I realized that 2 if not 3 of my favorites are included in this list

5. Night of the Living Dead
4. An American Werewolf in London
3. Psycho
2. Halloween
1. Frankenstein

All five films were groundbreaking, each one spawning remakes, sequels, & countless counterfeit copies(films trying to capture the the spirit, but failing in the process). All five took horror in a new direction and redefined it at the same time.

Look at your main characters:
-A re-animated corpse
-A mentally deranged stalker
-A schizophrenic motel owner
-A werewolf terrorizing the streets of London
-A group of zombies feeding on human flesh

Many will disagree with this list, but let me defend it with a few words. 3 of these films are not frightening by today's standards. However, at the time of their release they shocked and terrified audiences around the world. And they stand up as classics to this day.
1. FRANKENSTEIN

-Frankenstein paved the way for the Universal Studios monster movies from the 1930's to the 1950's
2. HALLOWEEN

-Halloween was the most successful independent movie ever until the late 1990's
3. PSYCHO

-Psycho is considered to be Hitchcock's masterpiece (This is from the guy who gave us Rear Window and The Birds)
4. AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

-American Werewolf proved you can morph a human into a wolf without the use of CGI
5. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

-Night of the Living Dead incorporated so many thematic elements into the story, you almost forget you are watching a horror movie

There are hundreds of horror movies out there and I try to watch as many as possible throughout the month of October. I've watched 6 this past week. These are just 5 popcorn pleasing films I think every Halloween fan should watch before the 31st of October.
THANKS TO THE GAMBLER. "LOOKS LIKE YOU ROLLED...SNAKE EYES"

No comments: