Thursday, October 11, 2007

Beirut-The Flying Club Cup


The Flying Club Cup is Beirut's new cd. I didn't buy his first one, Gulag Orkestar because I thought it sounded too Eastern European...and it did. Different sounding music is a good thing though, and I didnt realize it in regards to his first album. Anyway, after I bought the Lon Gisland EP I was hooked. Elephant Gun and the version of Scenic World were great and I played Elephant Gun like 3,000 times in a row...because its that good.
I love albums that feel like whole albums; not just a mix cd. The Flying Club Cup is full record. No song blares out as exceptionally better than the rest. All the songs go together quite nicely. Zach Condon is a young fella, but his music feels a lot older. He plays the trumpet...which I think is cool.
The story is, that he was orignially from New Mexico, went to Eastern Europe where he travelled around with a bunch of musicians...gypsy style...and took a liking to it and BAM! there you go, two and a half albums with horns and accordians and tamborines. I enjoy gypsy like music...you just dont hear much of it these days.
Give this album a chance. Don't be so quick to judge. Its really quite good.

Beirut [mp3] The Penalty

No comments: