Monday, January 14, 2008

Ce N'est Rien--You Are Heaven and Others


I haven't stopped listening to this album since I received it on Friday. Enjoyable from track 1 to track 10, filled with great melodies and choruses that hook you into singing in your sleep, and verses that reveal something new each time you listen. It's not an exaggeration saying that this is a great album..and that is what it is. An album. For the first time he has put together 10 songs that make a record...they work together. Building up and crashing down...witty and thoughtful. Just when the casual listener might find himself wandering off into a meaningless conversation they are hit with an amazingly catchy chorus that brings them back into the tale. For those of you who listen to every word coming through the headphones to dissect the storyline you will have plenty to work with on this one. Songs filled with promise and disappointment and when you feel like a character is giving up he throws out a line like "when you hold me like a body bag" or "I want to close my eyes and throw you down a well"...It makes you laugh in a way that only means you kind of understand. Great songwriters make depressing statements comforting...lines like "slowly I have become quicksand" doesn't make you sad but makes everything seem like it might be OK. Its hard for me to pick a song to post...honestly I could have pulled one out of a hat and you would find it just as enjoying as the one below. This is one of my favorites.

Ce N'est Rien [mp3] I Could Just Die

and one of my favorite lines from another song...called Today.
I will wait for you today
but only if you're running late
Its open season my mistake
the eggs will fall out just to break

No comments: