Friday, January 18, 2008

I Love New Music That Has Been Around For Years---The Magnetic Fields

THE MAGNETIC FIELDS

I love running across a band that has been around for a while...a band you always hear about, but never listen to. A band that has albums full of songs that you have never heard...The band, The Magnetic Fields. Amazing songwriting and poppy melodies from Steven Merritt. I am excited enough to go buy albums (plural) from them today and listen to them in succession through this weekend (thank you MLK for giving me the day off Monday). This band has been around since the early 90's and I am sure they are such a band that has a following of people who say things like "I have been listening to them far before anyone knew about them." What the fuck is that! You don't get any credit for "discovering this band"...and by the way you just listen you have nothing to do with anything.
They have a new album out called distortion and I assume I will pick that up as well. I have one coming in the mail, but I have no patience for the time it takes the pony express to cross the plains with my package. So, I can't really talk much about their catalog of songs because I don't know many of them. Here is one I ran across and enjoy. Hopefully after this weekend I will have a better grasp of what they are all about.

The Magnetic Fields [mp3] All My Little Words

No comments: