Wednesday, June 9, 2010

VESSALO #4

Day 2 of the VESSALOS!
Nirvana: Polly (from Nirvana Unplugged in New York, 1993), About a Girl, Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam

OK, so I couldn't quite decide which one I liked best...so I included all three.  And quite honestly,  I could have posted this entire set.  These songs flood my mind with some of the best memories and times of my life, and shaped my taste in music forever.  I think i discovered this album in 1994 - sophomore year of high school, and remember it as one of the 1st albums where you could listen to it in it's entirety, each song seemingly better than the last.  It saddens me to think about Kurt's last moments and I shudder to think what could have been.  But maybe he was right...perhaps he truly did answer Neil Young's question that it was better to burn out than to fade away.  RIP Kurt.

Song ONE:  Polly
Taken from Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable of sources, but interesting nonetheless) a description of how Kurt came to write the lyrics:
--According to Michael Azerrad's 1993 Nirvana biography Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana, "Polly" is based on the true story of a female rape victim from Tacoma, Washington. The girl, 14, was abducted in 1987 while returning from a punk rock show, and was raped and tortured with razors and a blowtorch by her abductor Gerald Friend. Cobain's only narrative flourish is that the victim manages to escape by flirting with her captor Gerald Friend, convincing him to trust her. This allows her to escape while he stops for gas.[1]


Song #2:  About a Girl
Arguably my favorite 1st track of any album i can remember.  Nostalgic for sure.  Pay close attention to David Grohl's turtleneck....high comedy. 


Song #3:  Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam
Definitely fits my "Obscure Cover Song" bill.  Completely random, but amazing stiill the same

No comments: