Tuesday, February 19, 2008

There Will Be Blood


I haven't seen a better performance by an actor than Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood...maybe ever. It was that good. He skates a line between stability and insanity and then falls right over into the insane. I liked No Country For Old Men more as a movie, but as far as single character acting goes, Daniel Day Lewis was amazing and better than anyone I have seen in a long time.
The movie was 2 hours and 45 minutes long. That is a long time to sit in a non reclining seat, but I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a different sort of movie than Paul Thomas Anderson is used to making (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love) and I can't say that it was better or worse than his previous work. Just different.
I think it is important to go see people with extraordinary talent, especially in a world right now so full of hacks and mediocrity. There is such a desire to be "famous" that we have created all sorts of machines to give people what they want. If you turn on the television at any moment in the evening you will understand what I am talking about. Ordinary is fine, just don't try to create interest or talent out of it.
So when you have a chance to witness someone who has a talent that stands out in a sea of other talents you should check it out. They are pretty rare these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also featured one of the most creative and progressive scores I have heard. It wasn't past, it wasn't future, it was just kind of timeless really. Johnny Greenwood's (radiohead)creation blended perfectly with Anderson and Day-Lewis's style and talent. Loved the movie.

The Mutineers said...

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I agree that was the first time I really noticed the score in a movie. It was amazing.