Friday, February 1, 2008

Band Of Horses @ The Gargoyle...The Only Good Thing That Came Out Of January... Besides Getting Out Of It


You know a show is great when you are sitting in a basement of a University building, packed with sweaty, malnuritied college kids sporting chucks and ratty beards and you find yourself enjoying every single second of it. One kid played air drums through the entire set. He played the air drums over his head. I have never seen such a thing. He donned a sock hat that he kept on grabbing onto and pulling off and putting back on. There were moment I thought he was going to combust and then there were other moments when his reaction to a song was on par with what I could only imagine as someone watching a milk cow give birth to the baby Jesus. He loves Band of Horses.
The Gargoyle is not my favorite place to see a show...in fact it might be my least favorite, but when a band like Band of Horses plays I don't think it matters where you see them. The show will inevitably be great. Ben Bridwell is awesomely entertaining and he plays with an energy in his craft and he truly seems to enjoy his bandmates, giving them sideways grins after his ad-libbed f-bombs (Is there a ghost in my house...my fucking house). They played everything you would want to hear...No Ones Gonna Love You, The First Song, Monsters, Cigarettes Wedding Bands, Ode to LRC, Funeral, and There Is A Ghost. I then realized that this band does not have a song I do not like (maybe Detlef Schrempf). They played two great covers of songs I have never heard. A JJ Cale cover that I am desperately trying to find, and a CCR B-Side I can only assume is called Effigy. They were both amazing. They closed with Marry Song and General Specific and that was that. General Specific is fucking awesome...awesome. A top five show for sure.

Band of Horses [mp3] (Biding Time Is A) Boat Row (Live off of Limited Edition Tour EP)

4 comments:

Mike said...

I was at the show too, it was awesome. I saw the guy playing air drums, but even better was the guy standing in front of me playing air guitar and shaking his head at odd times in the song seemingly just to feel his hair slap against his cheeks. I blogged about it too, pretty new to this...We share a LOT of muscial interests

The Mutineers said...

Yeah man that was a great show. I saw head banger fella...there are always a couple at every show. Pretty funny shit. Glad you had the set list posted. Loved the jj cale cover.

Mike said...

Yea not sure how I missed mentioning that either. I have clean live version JJ Cale doing it if you can't find it. Perhaps I could upload it

Unknown said...

Show was spectacular. I've got that JJ Cale song if you want it. Shoot me an e-mail: rtierney(at)gmail.com