Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What I Have Been Wearing Out On My Ipod...

TWO GALLANTS

For all of the purchase-worthy albums that have come out towards the end of this calender year I want to say that the Two Gallants new one is becoming my favorite. I am always weary of my initial reaction to new records. I realize my impulsive opinions are usually to the extreme.
"I love this album it is the best I have ever heard in my life".
"This record is an utter disappointment and it depresses me because I was looking so forward to it"
After giving those new cds (Two Gallants, Flying Cup Club, The Shepard's Dog, Random Spirit Lover, Reunion Tour, Cease to Begin) some time I have come to the conclusion that Two Gallants-Two Gallants is my favorite. I dont know if it is necessarily the best (musicianship and lyrics) but it is definitely my kind of music. Semi-sad bastard whiskey sippin tunes that out of nowhere can rock out and wake you the fuck up. There is something about rage filled lyrics that I love. They are on tops of my list of bands I would love to see. Just two fellas. You get the sense, from their music, that their idea of a great time is rangling cattle and sitting by a campfire blacking out from whiskey. And although that doesnt quite fit the description of my life I often romaticize that lifestyle and that image comes through to me in their songs.
Two Gallants [mp3] Reflections of the Marionette
SIGUR ROS

When I don't feel like listening to words I understand or instruments I can decifer and I feel like listening to Icelandic music I listen to Sigur Ros. I purchased their newest album Hvarf-Heim, which is a double disc (one live and the other are old B-sides). The live disc is all songs released on other albums while the B-sides are good without a standout track. Every song they play seems like a soundtrack to me. Albeit to a boring movie that is my life. Its very good short distance driving music. Anything longer than 15 minutes you are risking narcolepsy.
Sigur Ros [mp3] Vaka
*the video for this song is pretty great. If you like end of the world, children in gas masks, evacuation type imagery.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you about Two Gallants. It's growing on me so much that I subject my store to it every day that I work(then when I come back the next day it's ALWAYS taken out as soon as I leave). I was thinking about nominating it for sunsets album of the year.