Monday, November 19, 2007

The Arcade Fire on Austin City Limits


Sorry I forgot how badass The Arcade Fire is. I caught them on Austin City Limits this weekend (apparently we are one week behind the world in regards to PBS programming) and the show was really very good. The best performance I have seen on ACL maybe ever (I really enjoyed the Bright Eyes show a couple years ago). They are huge. Sometimes I just want to hear a man and his guitar...other days I want to hear a band full of horns and accordians and megaphone singers and gigantic noise. Its all about horns these days, you know. Some bands just give off a feeling different than any other band and I think The Arcade Fire does this. Something like a cult kind of feeling; Win Butler the cult leader...they act like zombies stuck in their music. They kind of remind me of gypsies even though their music is not gypsy music (Beirut). I was a huge fan of their first LP Funeral. It was one of those great eerie sort of records. Neon Bible was pretty great itself. (Antichrist Television Blues) is my favorite song on the album. You really hear a lot of the Boss in that record. And that is not a bad thing. In fact you probably know that Springsteen covered Keep the Car Running. You can almost believe he wrote that song.
Tivo is a brilliant invention and allows me to watch all Austin City Limit shows at my leisure.
The Arcade Fire [mp3] (Antichrist Television Blues)

No comments: