Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I'm Not There

THATS NOT BOB DYLAN...AND IT'S NOT A MAN EITHER

Bob Dylan covers are often boring to me. The best one I have heard is Pearl Jam's version of Masters of War. The new double disc from the movie I'm Not There isn't too bad. I had to buy it just because I had to. There are some very unremarkable songs (Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again-Cat Power--I can't remember if I read this or thought it or both but all I picture is Chan Marshall singing this song on Wednesday night at Lanhucks Karaoke , One More Cup of Coffee-Roger McGuinn) but there are also some really good ones. I would say for the most part I enjoy the soundtrack. I enjoy the songs Stephen Malkmus does (Ballad of a Thin Man and Can't Leave Her Behind) and Yo La Tangos version of Fourth Time Around is really great. I really like the songs Mason Jennings does, but they are two great simple songs and I think its pretty hard to fuck those up. I almost can't believe I am about to write this next line, but I will. Jack Johnson does a great job with Mama You've Been On My Mind...I mean its good. Then he goes and fucks it up by absolutely ruining one of my favorite things Bob Dylan has ever done. He takes Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie and turns it into his goddamn surfer boy sitting by a Karate Kid campfire sing along. He was close and almost hid the fact that he is a douche bag...almost.

Jack Johnson [mp3] Mama You've Been On My Mind
Bob Dylan [mp3] Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie

No comments: