Friday, June 6, 2008

I Think There Is A Little Holden Caulfield in All Of Us


There are only a couple of books out there that I have read more than once. I reread these books the same reason I watch Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore and High Fidelity and The Natural over and over again; because of the characters and the feeling you get when you read about them or watch them on the screen.
Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book...maybe ever (Ramona Quimby Age 8 and any book by John Bellairs are up on the list from my younger days). I believe that everyone can see a little bit of themselves in Holden Caulfield. That's what makes a good book great...the characters and the readers ability to relate to him. He is funny and cynical and has a great inner monologue...and a good inner monologue is necessary for any person to get through a day full of phonies.
Holden Caulfield hates all people, but he doesn't really hate them completely. He hates them while they are around and then when they are not he kind of misses them and feels bad he was a dick to them...
He is smart as shit but doesn't do shit in school. You can almost assume that Holden Caulfield was the inspiration of Max Fischer.
He dreams about being in a huge field on a cliff and saving all the kids from flying off the edge. I used to think the best way to die would be jumping on a grenade that was thrown into a group of my friends. I thought it would be noble...but as I look back on that it was just pretty arrogant.
If you haven't read this book you should read it today...or start it today. If you have read this book you should read it again because it is that good.

No comments: