Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Evil Urges-My Morning Jacket


Evil Urges was one album I couldn't wait to hear. I have it and have been listening to it since I became owner. I can't say that I'm not a little confused by the whole thing. Thats not to say I don't like it, because I kind of do. It's just that it seems all over the place to me. Musically I love track I Evil Urges, but I don't know why they fucked with Jim James vocals so much on the song...its not that pronounced reverb that they usually have...it actually sounds more like me trying to imitate Jim James and that may sound great to me, but not to anyone else.
Highly Suspicious might be the worst song I have ever heard in my life. But then again maybe I don't get it. I am pretty sure that is Prince singing there...and I don't like it one bit.
I'm Amazed is awesome and I have listened to it 17 times already. It's a great song and not so coincidentally is Jim James best singing effort besides Smokin From Shootin (my favorite so far).
Sec Walkin and Librarian would be typical songs written by Jim Croce if he was still alive today. I like Librarian a lot, but its hardly the rock out kind of My Morning Jacket song I usually enjoy.
Smokin From Shootin might be my favorite song on the album after the first couple listens. I don't know if it's just me but I think this song could have been written by Bon Jovi in late 80's. The song is pretty badass.
I usually like albums that feel like albums. This one doesn't at all to me. At Dawn and It Still Moves felt like albums. Z felt like 2 albums and it was great. Evil Urges feels like an experiment with some huge successes and a couple busts.

Greg's Review B
The Sun Sets On Indiana Review- A good solid...Seven and a Half

My Morning Jacket [mp3] Smokin From Shootin

No comments: