Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Music, Music, Music

Sun Kil Moon
The new Sun Kil Moon album is not much of a departure from their other albums. And that fact alone makes their newest album, April, great. Mark Kozelek is one of those guys who easy to listen to no matter if he is singing ACDC, Modest Mouse, or his own stuff. This record won't surprise you and I don't know if the songwriting is as great as Ghosts of the Great Highway, but still good. Some of the songs are upwards of 9 minutes, but none of them seem too long. Like the River is one of the departures from his typical songs. It sounds like an old time country song and ends up being one of my favorites ("days spill out faster than rounds from a gun"--rarely will you find a line from a song containing the word gun that isn't great). Heron Blue is awesome and Lost Verses is great and I listen to it three times in a row which ends up being 30 minutes worth of listening.

Also bought another Explosions in the Sky Album, The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place. If you haven't picked up anything by them yet I think you should. How Strange, Innocence is a great place to start. We went and saw them last weekend and through a haze of tequila gimlets I believe it was a great show.

Colin Meloy Sings Live came out today and I think I might pick it up. Don't forget about the Decemberists. I also believe Tapes N Tapes comes out as well. Their first album was good, but after I listened to it a couple times I had no desire to revisit it.

No comments: