Monday, December 8, 2008

Ten is still better than any album fools are making today


I can't figure out if this has just been a terrible year for music or if my age is catching up to me. I wonder if I have become the person that feels new music has no relevance and that everything is beginning to sound the same. There hasn't been one album this year that has had me waiting outside a music store for the doors to open.
Last year had Iron and Wine, Band of Horses, The National, Beirut, The Weakerthans, Spoon...Handsome Furs...and on and on. This year has nothing that has interested me for more than a second. Okkervil River Stand-Ins is probably as good as it got this year and that is not bad. I liked the album a lot. I liked it more than Stage Names...
I liked Sigur Ros but you can only listen to that so many times before your brain needs to hear real words. I don't exactly know what I am waiting for, but I am waiting for something.
It was much easier when my expectations soley lay with Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and Radiohead. There are so many more bands to choose from. All the choices have watered down everything. Go back and listen to Ten or Vitology or Tiny Music or Pablo Honey. I liked it when things weren't so complicated. The music was amazing and you didn't have to think about why you liked it. It was just great.
What are you listening to all that other stuff anyway. You should be listening to Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole right now. Where are your priorities and sense of the Christmas season.
In unrelated news here is our christmas tree. We now have a glowing angel on top so add thatto what you are looking at.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try Little Joy's new album. Bon Iver is pretty amazing (official US release in 2008, even though we had it best in 2007) Nothing to be ashamed of, but I would say it is simply age catching up. We all get a little jaded and "grumpy old man" as we age - plus we have less time and energy...especially with music. Nothing to be ashamed of though - just happens if you don't obsess.

Anonymous said...

Your fat cat makes your tree look smaller
-Your sister