Wednesday, December 24, 2008

F The Yankees!!


It's Christmas and I shouldn't have anything to complain about. More than that I just shouldn't be complaining this time of year. But when the Red Sox let not only the best hitter available, but arguably the best hitter in baseball, go to the Yankees I will complain about it. Bob Ryan says that the deal was "eminent" with the Red Sox. He was getting ready to start writing his article about Texiera and how great of a fit he will be with the Red Sox. How this deal keeps the Red Sox on par with the Yankees and all their winter workings. Then the worst happens...he signs with the one team you secretly wish would fly their plane into a small mountain or into a volcano. It is having your presents sitting under the tree for a couple days only to have your parents, on Christmas morning, tell you that the presents are for your rich neighbor that always has it a little nicer than you...or something like that.
Last night I wasn't devastated about the deal, or lack of deal. I tried to make the most of it. "With Youkilis and Lowell healthy, who needs a guy like Texiera." and "Give me our staff and pen any day of the week...Lester, Beckett, Dice-K, Masterson, the kid who threw the no-hitter at Fenway and nothing else since (I will not say or write his name until he does something worth mentioning...or just throws his fastball for a strike), Delcarmen, Miguel Gonzalez, and Paplebon. Fat CC will be a good pitcher, but give Lester, Burnett says he knows how to pitch now...ha! I am not worried. His numbers allow me "not to worry".

It would be easy to blame Red Sox management. Apparently, 1.5 million a year was the margin that kept the Red Sox from signing Texiera. I understand, to an extent, taking a stand and saying, "no that is all we will pay". But in the world of baseball 1.5 million a year is the equivalent to a weeks worth of lunch money. We will have 162 chances to resent this during the season. We will have 19 chances to watch and pray that Texiera doesn't single handedly destroy the Red Sox.
Even though this deal gives me a cold sweat and makes me a little nauseous, I can't wait until the baseball season starts. Being a Red Sox fan, you have had years to appreciate the "underdog" title (with all due respect to the Pirates and the Royals and the Marlins fans). We haven't been one for a few years now...until today. Thank God for Direct TV. This will allow me to watch all the games this year...to add informed commentary. A root equally for the Red Sox and against the Yankees. It will be a fun year. The AL East will be a bear. 3 teams that could win 95 games. 19 games head to head. Should be pretty great.
I can't lie though, I am devastated!!

No comments: