Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Favorite Albums of 2008


By the end of the year I try to compile a list of my favorite albums released this year. It is hard to think back to January and February and the albums released then. I always seem to forget a couple here and there. I rate them on a couple criteria.
1) When I bought the album did I listen to it over and over and have a hard time listening to anything else. This could be skewed if another good album was released simultaneously. This is not a scientific study though so I don't even think about things being skewed.
2) Could I put this album in 3 months later and still enjoy it. Some albums have not been out for 3 months so do not qualify. I have the ability though, to see into the future and I can tell if I will like the album in 3 months. The ability to see into the future only pertains to deterimining if I will like an album in 3 months. It is disappointing that "the gift" doesn't work for anything else...
So hear is the list. In reverse order...to build up to the suspense of #1...
My Favorite Albums of 2008
14. Times New Viking-Rip It Off
13. The Dodos-Visiter
12. My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges
11. Ryan Adams and The Cardinals- Cardinology
10. She and Him- Volume One
9. Sigur Ros-
**Titus Androndicus-The Airing Of Grievances
8. The Walkmen- You and Me
7. Sun Kil Moon- April
6. The Mountain Goats- Satanic Messiah EP
5. Conor Oberst- Conor Oberst
4. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks- REal Emotional Trash
3. Frightened Rabbit- The Midnight Organ Fight
**The Tallest Man On Earth-Shallow Grave
2. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
2. Okkervil River- The Stand Ins
1. Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer

There you have it. Probably forgot something in there. Think Beach House came out this year and I enjoyed that album. Haven't listened to some of the albums on other peoples top 50 lists. I see Bon Iver on there quite a bit and should probably see what the fuss is all about. Forgot about Bonnie Prince Billy. I liked Lie Down in the Light. Don't know if it would make this prestigious list or not...

No comments: