Sunday, March 28, 2010

PEARL JAM IS ROCK N ROLL by Greg Brinkmeyer


Pure rock and roll.  If you asked me to name one band that defines this saying and owns the title to the greatest band ever, the answer would come without hesitation; The Rolling Stones.  Now this is just my opinion.  Sure they have had their moments of ‘softness’, but looking back on their catalog, it is hard to say that they are not the greatest of all time.  Many will argue the Beatles own the crown and they might be right, but they did not last long enough as a band before embarking on solo careers.  Contrary to modern science, the Stones will not continue to churn out music as they once did, although we all secretly hope they do.  They have a certain aura about them that just makes you want to throw your arms in the air and dance.  My Mick Jagger impression is horrible, but I get a kick out of doing it when ‘Street Fighting Man’ blares over the speakers at a party or gathering.  So, if we look back on the careers of a phenomenal band, the only question is who will take their place?  The answer once again comes without hesitation.  Two words; Pearl Jam.

Without a doubt, Pearl Jam is the greatest American rock band ever!  They never cease to amaze their fans with each album.  Remarkably, it has been almost 19 years since the release of their debut album Ten.  19 years!  Hard to believe. Released in the age of grunge, Pearl Jam wowed listeners with stellar songs such as ‘Jeremy’, ‘Alive’, and ‘Evenflow.’  I still can’t get enough of ‘Release’ to this day.  Looking back, it seems like they took a backseat to Nirvana, which I feel like was an okay situation. They continued to produce extraordinary music.  Pearl Jam’s first three albums crashed through the rock scene like a sledgehammer.  And after Kurt Cobain’s passing, they grabbed the reins and never looked back. 

19 years later, nine studio albums, one live album, and countless bootlegs, Pearl Jam still continues to electrify the crowds. And yes, just like the Stones, they have had their moments of weakness.  Or have they?  Talking with a friend last weekend, we pondered whether Pearl Jam has released a bad album.  No Code has and probably always will be my favorite album and I’ll never forget buying it the day I left for college.  I was never partial to Binaural, but I am listening to it as I write this article and feel as if it is a great album that was overshadowed by its predecessors.  So, maybe some songs have not lived up to the Pearl Jam hype, but they have not released a bad album in my opinion. 

In talking with another friend, another question arose.  Do we love Pearl Jam for the songs or for the memories associated with the songs?  Plain and simple, I love the songs.  Sure, when ‘Elderly Woman’ plays I am immediately transported back to the Stockwell Inn singing at the top of my lungs with ten of my friends.  I recall pulling into Chicago a few years back when I heard ‘World Wide Suicide’ for the first time.  And when ‘Long Road’ plays, I think of my grandmother.   There are several other memories associated with Pearl Jam songs, but if it wasn’t for the songs, the memories would not stand out as well.  Isn’t that the case with all music?  I remember the day I bought Vs. on tape!  Music brings out the best and worst in all of us. It is and always will be about the music.

This week I bought a ticket to see Pearl Jam in May.  I have not seen them live since 2004.  Six years have passed and my faith in the band is just as strong.  I absolutely love Backspacer and cannot wait to see the band walk out onto the stage.  It will be a magical moment and it has forced me to look back on a career that will no doubt be noted as remarkable.  I remember seeing RC almost cry when ‘Smile’ echoed throughout the amphitheater and later seeing my brother almost shed a tear at his first PJ concert in ‘03.  I remember KG arriving at the car, hair slicked back with sweat after a show in ‘98.  I remember rocking out to bootlegs in Shooter’s Blazer in college as we hit the gas station for a late night dip and bottled water in the late 90s as well.  And I’ll never, ever forget the lights going up and the band closing a show with ‘Rocking in the Free World’ in ’00.  Pearl Jam has followed me since high school and I have followed them.  They have been there for me in the good times and the bad.  They have helped through personal struggles and they have astonished me on road trips across the country.  There will never be another group like them.  They may have changed their sound at times, but the heart and soul behind each guitar lick, each drumbeat, each bass line, and each lyric is always there.   So, as we look to the future, I am confident that Pearl Jam will continue to churn out balls to the wall rock and roll.  Should we expect anything less?    

TOUR DATES (w/BAND OF HORSES)


21-MayNew York, New YorkMadison Square Garden

20-MayNew York, New YorkMadison Square Garden

17-MayBoston, MassachusettsTD Banknorth Garden

15-MayHartford, CTXL Arena

13-MayBristow, VAJiffy Lube Live

10-MayBuffalo, New YorkHSBC Arena

9-MayCleveland, OHQuicken Loans Arena

7-MayNoblesville, IndianaVerizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana

6-MayColumbus, OHNationwide Arena

4-MaySt Louis, MissouriScottrade Center

3-MayKansas City, MissouriSprint Center

No comments: