Sunday, October 4, 2009

Townes Van Zandt


I bought a Townes Van Zandt cd years ago and listened to it once then never again until recently. The record is High Low and In Between and I believe it was released in 1972. I had always heard that Townes Van Zandt was regarded as one of the best songwriters that there is, but never gave him much of a chance. He is closer to folk than country, but some of his stuff is as country as it gets. He was from Texas, drank a lot, did heroin more (he tried to sell all the rights to his songs for 20 bucks when he needed some drugs) and ended up dying at the age of 52.
Steve Earle once said "Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that". That might be a stretch, but he is pretty great.

Townes Van Zandt [mp3] You Are Not Needed Now

No comments: