Sunday, March 23, 2008

I Had A Dream...


One of my dreams as a child was to go on a long road trip with the ability to play hours upon hours of Nintendo in the backseat. More specifically, RBI baseball. This dream was well before Gameboy's and television screens on the back of seats and all the technology we have today. I still remember sitting in the back of Parker's mothers station wagon, facing following traffic, talking about how great life would be if somehow we could figure out how to get a Nintendo in that back seat. That dream that I had over 20 years ago came true this week in an 18 hour trip to Florida. Somehow a mini-television and an original Nintendo Entertainment System was hooked up through the cigarette lighter of a 2001 Toyota Sienna minivan. When this idea started to come to life I was convinced that the electronic gadgets would suck all the battery power from the mini and we would end up on the side of the road in Tennessee talking about how great it was to play RBI Baseball for 5 full hours on the road.
What ended up happening was 12+ hours of intense RBI game play through 4 states fulfilling those dreams that were born some two decades ago. I thought about Parker and how he might haven enjoyed that... wherever he might be.
After a shaky start I fell right into my dominance, going 15-4, highlighted by a 35 inning scoreless streak. Results aside, it was great to play Nintendo in the backseat on a road trip..

1 comment:

The Mutineers said...

you know I am down for that friend...I am pretty sure I have 2 and a half free months coming up here...lets set it up and have a go.
Tony Armas