Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hooooooosiers!!!!

I will first say that, in the arena of watching sports on television, there isn't a better feeling than when one of your teams scores a winning basket, a winning run, or a go ahead touchdown.  When genuine excitement holds your body hostage and you leap around the room like you played an intrical part in the teams victory.  Its 2 hours of very focused, bottled up nervousness reaching a boiling point that manifests into a childlike stomp, shout, jog around your dining room table as the buzzer sounds. 

Tom Crean--the weirdest look a coach has ever had after a game winner
Indiana basketball has been dead for years.  Dead since 2000.  There has been success since then, but everyone who knows Indiana basketball knows it has been dead since Coach Knight was forced out after the 2000 season.  Davis was bad.  He had success with Knight's players.  Sampson was crooked.  Crean was maybe just what we needed.  Three god awful seasons (27-66) would make us think otherwise, until a 9-0 start and the best win the school has had since beating Duke in 2002.  We wanted someone great again and talked ourselves into believing that he was the right guy.  I wasn't convinced until Saturday.

Honestly, for the last 3 years I could hardly call myself a true fan.  I tried to watch a couple games a year and each time I found myself flipping to almost anything more interesting, like an SVU episode I could recite line for line.  I try not to call people fair weather fans after those three seasons because they were unwatchable and its almost impossible to stay on the bandwagon unless you have a son or a nephew on the team.

Life seems to be a little better with the Hoosiers in the top 20.  Waiting for ND football to join the National Champion discussion again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks to Greg for this clip.  I can watch it over and over again.

1 comment:

PSI said...

I have always tried to believe in Crean because he genuinely attempted to embody what "hoosier hysteria" really stood for. He set that standard from day one. He removed any player that didn't meet his criteria of what an Indiana Hoosier bball player should stand for. Let's face it, he had NO talent whatsoever until last year. Finally we have a nucleus that plays hard and plays together consistently. Jordy Hulls has taken the alpha dog role which may be one of the biggest differences this year. Players have a sense of personal accountability. And I guess the arrival of the best Zeller brother doesnt hurt (by the way he is #12 on Chad Ford's 2012 draft board, which scares me for the future). This team will end up being the IU version of the UK "Unforgettables" team. The UK win was a big one. It was a good win for the team, but a great win for the fans.