Saturday, January 30, 2010

Getting to Know the Correspondents



Meet the Correspondents: Mitch Miggenburg, Charleston SC
AKA: Mount Pleasant

I was sent a number of questions by Sunsets, but I am picking and choosing the ones I like best.

1. What was the first cd/cassette you remember buying?
* I owned more rap cassettes than any white boy in the suberbs should. All accounted for in old shoe boxes. These included, but are definitely not limited to,
Run DMC, Digital Underground, Too Short (all of em'), Spice 1 (all of em'), NWA, Eazy E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube (all of em'), Bone Thugs-in-Harmony, Ant Banks, and Domino. And, don't be mistaken, I was listening to these through 1994 when I finally got a CD Player. Sure, I was behind as far as technology goes, but I distinctly remember going to the mall to purchase the Notorious B.I.G "Ready to Die" in late '94 as my first compact disc. And really, I couldn't have been happier with my first cd purchase.


2. Name an album, book, or movie that you feel you can judge a person with based on whether they like it or not.
I have always said, "If you don't like The Sunset Tree by the Mountain Goats, then I don't like you." Drastic? sure. But I can safely say, if you don't like this album, I'm guessing you and I won't see eye-to-eye on anything that really matters. So there.


3. What is the best live show(s) you have ever seen?
To Many to list probably, but here goes...in descending order from really-liked(#10) to borderline-couldn't-believe-I-was-there (#1). Dates are approximations:
#10. Josh Joplin - Eddie's Attic, Atlanta GA 2003
#9. The Strokes - The Plex, Charleston, SC 2007
#8. The Thermals - The Pour House, Charleston SC 2009
#7. Kings of Leon - The Music Farm, Charleston SC 2007
#6. Son Volt - The Music Farm, Charleston, SC 2006
#5. Band of Horses - Redux Theatre, Charleston SC 2005
(Tie) BOH - Village Tavern, Mt. Pleasant SC 2007
#4. Conor Oberst - The Plex, Charleston SC 2008
#3. Band of Horses - The Music Farm, Charleston 2009
#2. The Mountain Goats - The Redux Theatre, Charleston, SC 2005
#1. Pearl Jam - Deer Creek, Indianapolis IN 2003 (unreal)

4. What posters did you have on your wall growing up?
In addition to almost every Sports Illustrated cover from '90-'94 (and I even added the Tyson Rape Conviction issue for laughs....awkward now that I look back on it) I had the following:
**Andre Dawson - The Hawk (so cool, him standing outside Wrigley with a bat on his shoulder and a hawk perched on the bat)
**"Chicago Times" - Chicago's 3 premiere athletes...Dawson, Jordan, and Walter Peyton in tuxes. just badass.
**Eddie Vedder - Vs. (life-size) Actually, maybe a little bigger than life-size since ed is about 4'11"
**Chuck Person - The RifleMan. I sooo wish I still had this poster.
**and the BigHead Pennants (so popular in the nineties) of Dawson, Jordan, Bird, and Reggie Miller) for good measure


5. Who was your favorite 80s basketball player? See above....The Rifleman kids! Not afraid to pull the trigger from anywhere. OK, I lied. Bird. But Chuck Person was damn close!!

6. Best Hamburger? Poes Tavern on Sullivan's Island, SC. Bout 4 miles from my house and the best Jalapeno Jack liquid cheese sauce you've ever had.

7. Can I get you something to drink?
Depending on the mood. Cheap red wine, expensive hoppy beer, or just Maker's and Diet please, hold the fruit!

No comments: